Emergency Operations Unit
Since June 2015, Greece started receiving a significantly increased number of migrants and refugees who entered through the blue borders of the country. Through the establishment of the Emergency Operations Unit, IOM Greece focuses on the Humanitarian Response to the Mediterranean migrant and refugee crisis by providing support in close collaboration with the Greek Government and other agencies. This action is complementary to ongoing programs that IOM Greece implements in partnership with the Greek Government, EU Agencies, EU member states and other countries, and allows for a holistic and coherent approach in response to the migrant and refugee crisis.
IOM Greece Emergency Operations Unit’s activities aim to provide concrete services and support to the population of concern. Beneficiaries include migrants and refugees who are stranded in Greece and reside in formal and informal sites, with a particular focus on Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMCs) and other vulnerable individuals, such as victims of Trafficking of Human Beings (THB) and Sexual and Gender-Based Violence (SGBV).
More specifically, IOM has been addressing the exacerbated emergency situation in Greece by rolling out a comprehensive emergency response consisting of the following projects:
- Supporting the Greek Authorities in Managing the National Reception System for Asylum Seekers and Vulnerable Migrants (SMS)
- Providing Education and Immediate Accommodation to Migrant Children in Greece (PEDIA)
- FILOXENIA - Temporary Shelter and Protection for the Most Vulnerable Migrants in Greece
- U-CARE: Urgent Care for Unaccompanied Migrant Children stranded in Greece
- Improving the Greek Reception System through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long-Term Accommodation Sites
- Responding to Emergency needs and Fostering Refugees’ and Migrants’ Empowerment (REFRAME)
- Humanitarian and Recovery Support to the Affected Population in Greece
- Emergency measures to enhance accommodation capacity and Site Management Support in the sites in Greece
- Emergency Response in Accommodating Unaccompanied Migrant Children - ERAcUMiC
- Multi-sectoral Assistance to Migrants and Refugees Stranded in Greece
- Emergency Support to Assist Most Vulnerable Migrants Stranded in Greece
- Emergency assistance for the effective management of immigration flows in the Greek Territory