Improving the Greek Reception System through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long-Term Accommodation Sites
Duration: 1 January 2019 – 31 December 2019
Description: Through this action, IOM is aiming to ensure dignified and harmonized reception and protection standards for migrants - including asylum seekers and beneficiaries of international protection - residing in accommodation sites in mainland Greece, by supporting the Government of Greece in the daily management of all long-term accommodation sites. IOM will operate in the mainland by providing Site Management Support (SMS).
Interventions were developed and are implemented in partnership with organizations and partners who are already present in the sites as SMS agencies like Danish Refugee Council Greece (DRC Greece), Arbeiter Samariter Bund (ASB) and European Expression, or as specialized protection actors like UNICEF, ARSIS and the Greek Council for Refugees (GCR).
- Site Management Support (SMS): Facilitating the day-to-day management of the accommodation sites by performing activities such as: reception procedures, information management, care and maintenance, accountability mechanisms.
- Protection: Mitigating risks and protecting vulnerable groups by monitoring protection standards, preventing harm and providing direct assistance and case management to identified cases requiring specialized treatment.
- Interpretation: Provision of interpretation services facilitating communication of beneficiaries.
- Non-Formal Education: Ensuring access of the migrant population to quality education by offering Non-Formal Education opportunities.
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children: Protection of Unaccompanied Migrant Children (UMC) through the operation of the existing 10 Safe Zones within targeted sites, which will be under the management and coordination of IOM and will be run by specialized Child Protection partners (ARSIS, Greek Council for Refugees).
- Capacity building: Organizing capacity-building activities to enhance skills and facilitate the handover of services to the GoG.
Areas of action: Mainland Greece