Improving the Greek Reception System through Site Management Support and Targeted Interventions in Long-Term Accommodation Sites
Duration: 1 January 2019 – 31 December 2019
Description: Through this action, IOM as the delegated authority to the European Commission, is aiming to ensure dignified and harmonized reception and protection standards for migrants - including asylum seekers and beneficiaries of international protection - residing in accommodation sites in mainland Greece, by supporting the Government of Greece in the daily management of all long-term accommodation sites. Interventions were developed and are implemented in partnership with the co – delegatee UNICEF and other partners such as Danish Refugee Council Greece (DRC Greece), Arbeiter Samariter Bund (ASB), European Expression, ARSIS, Greek Council for Refugees (GCR), and METAdrasi. The project is funded by the Directorate General Migration and Home Affairs of the European Commission (DG HOME).
• Site Management Support (SMS): Supporting the day-to-day management of the accommodation sites by performing activities such as reception, distributions, community engagement and care and maintenance.
• Protection: Supporting vulnerable groups through provision of direct assistance and case management, with special focus on psychosocial and legal support and child protection, as well as the creation of safe spaces for children and women.
• Interpretation: Providing interpretation services facilitating the communication of beneficiaries with the SMS and site actors.
• Non-Formal Education: Providing quality learning opportunities to children, youth and adults, through homework support classes for children, Greek and English classes for adults, educational visits and others.
• Unaccompanied Migrant Children: Managing Safe Zones within selected sites through specialized Child Protection Partners to ensure maintenance, provision of food and non-food items, recreational activities and specialized legal and psychosocial support.
• Capacity building: Organizing capacity-building activities to enhance skills and facilitate the handover of services to the Government of Greece.
Areas of action: Mainland Greece
View SMS Factsheets