Multi-sectoral Assistance to Migrants and Refugees Stranded in Greece
Duration: 1 August 2016 –31 August 2017 (with the exception of reconstruction of long term accommodation sites until 31st of January 2018)
Description: IOM supported the Government of Greece to ensure that migrants and refugees residing in sites were having access to the provision of protection-based and multi-sectoral humanitarian assistance.
- Reconstruction of long-term accommodation sites (until the end of January 2018): With the objective to enhance reception and accommodation standards, IOM refurbished, upgraded or constructed shelter facilities in seven sites located in Attica, Central Greece and Northern Greece, providing the migrant and refugee population stranded in Greece with a secure sheltering solution.
- Site Management Support (SMS): As the official Site Management Support (SMS) agency in sites in Attica, Central Greece and Northern Greece, IOM provided support to the Government of Greece in camp coordination and management (CCCM). More specifically, through the appointment of IOM Facility Coordinators and Interpreters in each site, IOM assisted the Camp Manager with the site’s daily management and organization of activities and services. IOM aimed at strengthening the capacities of national authorities through the provision of joint SMS/CCCM trainings for IOM Facility Coordinators and Camp Managers seconded to the Ministry of Migration Policy (MMP).
- Care and maintenance of accommodation sites: Through continuous needs assessments, IOM implemented targeted shelter, WASH, as well as safety and security interventions in order to maintain and/or upgrade living standards and ensure dignified and humane living conditions for migrants and refugees residing in sites throughout Greece.
- Accommodation for vulnerable cases: In partnership with specialized NGOs IOM supported the operation of accommodation facilities for UMCs and vulnerable persons. The facilities were located in Athens, Central, Northern and Southern Greece and provided beneficiaries with specialized accommodation and protection and assistance services
- Safe zones for UMCs: Due to the high demand and the limited capacity in hospitality spaces, IOM in partnership with local NGO operated two safe zones and through this action, IOM covered the gap in child protection, provided targeted assistance to UMCs until their placement to designated shelters.
- Education: In close collaboration with the Ministry of Education Research and Religious Affairs and the Ministry of Migration Policy, IOM contributed to the implementation of the formal education plan for the inclusion of migrant and refugee children into the public education system. In particular, IOM facilitated the transportation of children to/from public primary and secondary schools and provided children of primary and pre-primary school age with school kits, containing the necessary school materials. In order to ensure their safety and security, all children were escorted by IOM specially appointed staff.
HELLENIC RED CROSS - Athens (2), Kalavrita, Larissa
HELLENIC RED CROSS - Ritsona, Kavala
HELLENIC RED CROSS - Volos
MEDECINS DU MONDE
SOCIETY FOR THE CARE OF MINORS AND YOUTH
SMILE OF THE CHILD
Areas of action:
- Attica/Central Greece: Malakasa, Oinofyta, Ritsona,Thiva, Thermopyles, Andravida
- Northern Greece: Derveni-ALEXIL Katsikas, Serres, Drama, Kavala, Alexandria