Project Duration: 01/01/2020-28/02/2022 (site operations completed on 31/12/2021)
Description: IOM supports the National authorities in the management of all long-term accommodation sites in mainland Greece and aims at ensuring dignified and harmonized reception standards for applicants of international protection. With the support of the European Commission, IOM has developed the intervention and implements this project in partnership with UNICEF, and other partners such as the Danish Refugee Council Greece (DRC Greece), Arbeiter Samariter Bund (ASB), the Municipality of Athens (through the Athens Development and Destination Management Agency (ADDMA)), ARSIS, the Greek Council for Refugees (GCR), METAdrasi, Zeuxis, Solidarity Now and Terre des Hommes. The project is funded by the Directorate General Migration and Home Affairs of the European Commission (DG HOME).
- Site Management Support (SMS): Supporting the day-to-day management of the accommodation sites by performing activities such as data management, reception and re allocation, distributions, and care and maintenance.
- Protection: Supporting vulnerable groups through provision of direct assistance, with special focus on psychosocial and legal support and child protection, as well as the creation of safe spaces for children and women.
- Interpretation: Providing interpretation services facilitating the communication of beneficiaries with site actors, as well as hospitals.
- Non-Formal Education: Providing quality learning opportunities to children and youth, through homework support classes for children, educational visits and others.
- Community Support and Engagement: Facilitating access to accurate and comprehensive information and service mapping, encouraging early integration and social inclusion and promoting the participation of beneficiaries in sports, educational and recreational activities and opportunities in and outside the sites.
- Unaccompanied Migrant Children: Managing Safe Zones within selected sites through specialized Child Protection Partners to ensure maintenance, provision of food and non-food items, recreational and educational activities and specialized legal and psychosocial support.
- Technical Assistance to the Greek authorities: On-the-job training and provision of operational support to the Greek authorities to enhance skills and facilitate the handover of services to the Government of Greece.
- Related Resources